Saturday 9 July 2011

{Pictures from the week} Pulp at Wireless

Firstly, there's something a little bit unappealing about the Wireless festival normally. Maybe it's the proliferation of corporate sponsors and the lack of boutique-iness but ordinarily it's not my fave. That was all changed by Pulp, who reformed to play to a sold out Hyde Park. Different Class was the first CD I bought, back when I was 12 (no flies on me - I had some dodgy old cassettes though) so I had to go. What made it even better was that the band had curated the lineup with various other artists they felt their audience would enjoy - this included Grace Jones, TV on the Radio, Foals, The Horrors, Metronomy and Yuck as well as many others.

At security there was a list of camera equipment that was banned and due to be confiscated, and they gave my speedlight a good long looking over before admitting it. Any lens over 6" was banned, but fortunately I'd only brought along my nifty fifty so whilst it wasn't so great for trying to get up close I was able to capture some of the amazing light scapes created in the tents. I love how they have an abstract, almost painterly feel.

Jarvis was on totally top form, regaling stores inbetween songs (if you've ever listened to his 6 Music show you'll get the idea). He said that many people associated them with being a band from Sheffield, but in fact most of their songs were written after they moved to London, and are about their understanding of London as outsiders initially, and then part of the fabric of the city and I think that's something that most people I know can relate to.

w1
w2w3
w4
w5
w6
w6
w8
w9
w10
w11
w12
w13
w14
w15
w16
w17
w18
w19
w20
w21
w22
w23
w24
w25



No comments:

Post a Comment